Sunday, October 25, 2009

Holding On To A Thread

I had lunch with my friend Kerry. We’ve known each other for nearly 30 years. We have wreaked havoc, loved and lost together. She is dear to me. We met for coffee at one of my favorite local coffee haunts, Copper Star Coffee. Two large lattes later, she asked me, “So, how are you?”

“Breathing. I’m practicing breathing right now.” Kerry scooped up her handbag (a lovely turquoise bag I might add) and produced her key chain. She unfastened a string doll hanging from her ring. Handing it to me she said, “You need Willow, that’s what she does, she helps you breathe.”

“What is it?” Kerry pulled out a single sheet of glossy paper well creased and worn, “She’s a string doll from this company. They’re kind of like personal voodoo dolls for good. Check ‘em out.” So I stuck the makeshift catalog in my bag, and we continued our conversation. I had to admit that I was taken with Willow. She’s cute and kind of a nice reminder to take a deep breath… and then have a meltdown.

The next day, my kids looked at the glossy flyer on the way to school. Seven hours later, at pick up, my now 12 year-old son asked for the flyer again. Halfway home, he announced, “These things are really cool. Monster Man is my favorite and Red Devil is my second favorite.” I was intrigued, “What would you do with them, buddy?”

“I’d put Monster Man in my swim bag because he ‘helps you see the beauty inside the not-so-beautiful.’ Sometimes after practice I don’t feel very good about myself. I’d put Red Devil on my desk since he ‘helps keep your temper in check during those extra trying times.’ You know how homework really gets to me sometimes? I thought he’d be good for that.” Wow. He had clearly given this a lot of thought. Then he added that he also liked E-Moe because that doll felt sad so you don’t have to.

Big feelings and big thoughts springing from just the idea of String Dolls that might help him get through the day. We got home, the kids unpacked, and got their snacks. I wandered back to my office and wondered about faith. My son has literally survived many trials in his life. For him, faith or religion or… whatever, is a waste of time. Pointless. Naïve. And yet, in less than 24 hours with just the idea of String Dolls, he’s ready to place his emotional care within the wrapping of just a single string. He talked about them again last night. “What do you like about them buddy?” “I don’t know,” he said, “I just do. I really want them.”

I have several tokens on my desk, in my purse, and in my pocket that remind me who I am and what I’m about. Like Willow. So I ordered Monster Man, Red Devil and E-Moe so he can find little reminders of himself in his life. I hope he sees the beauty within, the cool in his anger, and bravery in his sadness. Mostly I want him to find hope. Holding on. To a thread.