Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Flash For Your Fiction

A good writer friend of mine suggested some months ago that I post an entry every day for a month – or maybe three months – I can’t recall exactly. Anyway it was for some crazy amount of time. Like a week.


I always follow directions. Not really. However, this is my third post in as many days. I’m sure this will be the last of me.


Since I am here, and because I received my weekly installment of this author’s work, I want to share a bit about him with you. His name is Bruce Holland Rogers. Among his many accomplishments, he is the reigning rock star of Flash Fiction.


Flash, or Short-Short Stories, are generally works of no more than 2,500 words in length. As you can imagine given my fondness for the small canvas of the 10-min and one-act plays, I am enchanted with this restricted frame.


I have subscribed to his weekly shorts for over three years now and have never been disappointed. Not once. I remember many of his works long after reading them. These stories rang especially true for me: “A Poet to Watch” 4/09, “Lifeguard” 7/09, and “The Day That Bites” 9/09, “Stone Lions” 3/10.


Give yourself a nice treat. Take a break. Curl up with your screen and cup of tea. Bruce approaches the small canvas with a different palette every week.


You can follow Bruce on Facebook or through his website subscription (click on the paypal link).