Saturday, April 17, 2010

The View From Above & The Walk on the Ground

I sat down yesterday afternoon to write what I loosely refer to as Chapter 19. I have a 500 word per day goal which has proven to be a stretch but attainable. In fact, generally once I hit 400 words I'm well on my way to 600 before I come up for air again.

Chapter 19 involves the only appearance of one particularly malignant character. He is both introduced here and left here. I worked on a collage to represent this man - to get my arms wrapped around his appearance and his interior workings. I propped this up in my workspace, put the MacBook on my lap, and opened Word. I tapped "Chapter 19" and wrote the first few lines:

"Spinning-sign-guy. Still staring at him. I don’t really care who he is. I’m staring at him because he reminds me of that nameless boy from Gracie’s party. My shameless act; a ha
ppy ending. And this makes me pull my phone out yet again. I keep checking, and there’s nothing. Not a single text. From anyone."

I intended for this chapter to be intense and dark, the big "reveal", and it was, it's just that it all happened in 227 words. Really? I tapped out three significant words, one important sentence, and my hands left the keyboard. I thought, is that it? That can't be it. But I think that's it, right? I reread those paragraphs and landed in the same spot every time. Except I did add one last sentence, and then I had the hook to the back-story for later. Or maybe not. Who knows.

The cool part about that experience yesterday was being surprised. Chapter 19, at least in this first draft, is only 227 words. I queued up another new window and started on Chapter 20, and that really surprised me. I can't wait to see what happens toda

y. I keep thinking I should reign this all in. Make it bob and weave with just the right rhythm and intrigue. Throw out enough rope to hook the reader and lull them into My Girl's world ever so quietly without really noticing how attached you're getting to her, so when the hammer falls, you, the reader, are devastated. I should make that all happen in a fairly cohesive way in my first draft.

Snort. Right. I think there are writers who make that work. Writers who actually shape their work to that degree of precision while progressing through their initial draft(s). I started down that road and wound up paralyzed. For me it was a wonderful exercise to sketch out the plot lines, since I have three, and lay the conflict across the top to give a look at my landscape. An aerial shot. But after that, I still have to hike the trail myself. I could extend this metaphor into its own entire post, I'm sure. I guess the point here is that I tend to come from the school of "both". Do we teach our kids to read using "phonics" or "whole language"? Both. And so on. I need the aerial shot, and I need to walk the good walk. When I'm lost and not sure what comes next, I can pull out the schematic and refer to the larger picture.

At the end of the day yesterday, I had drafted Chapters 19 & 20. I packed up my gear to head home and wondered, okay, now what? And then I had an idea. I pulled out my dozens of index cards with elements of the aerial view, laid them out and surveyed the arrangement. Aha! This! My Girl wants to talk about this and that makes total sense. Of course that's next.